Easy boot between FBSD and WinXP

Michael Vondung michael at vcommunities.net
Thu Sep 11 16:03:03 PDT 2003

Hi, Denis,

This sounds pretty much like my set-up. All I had to do was to let
Sysinstall write a BootMgr on *both* disks. In /stand/sysinstall, just go in
the "Fdisk" section, select your first drive, don't do anything else here,
and immediately leave with "Q". It will ask you if you want to write the
BootMgr, a standard MBR or do nothing. Select BootMgr. You'll need to do
this for each of the disks. Then leave sysinstall.

When you boot, you'll see something like this (assuming XP is on the first
disk (disk 0) and you have two NTFS partitions):

F1 ???
F2 ???
F5 Disk 1

F1 will boot XP. Hit F5 to boot from the second disk and you'll see:

F1 FreeBSD
F5 Disk 0

F1 here will boot you into FreeBSD, and F5 get you back to the first
selection.

Note: I'm a newbie myself, but the above worked for me and doesn't require
additional software. The ??? isn't pretty, but it works. Just be careful
that you don't slice the disk that has XP on it.

M.