user-ppp faster then pppd ?

Bob Hall rjhjr at cox.net
Thu Sep 11 15:22:51 PDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 09:23:31PM +0200, humbaba at gmx.net wrote:
> Hi
> I recently tried to connect to the Internet using kernel ppp (pppd) instead
> off user ppp. I noticed that the connection was about 0.5 KB slower whith
> pppd when downloading the same file from the same server. I'm using a 56 K
> modem and have Release 5.1 installed,  I also appended my /etc/ppp/options,

The difference is too small to be meaningful. I've seen differences of
20KB using the same hardware and software. The change means that the
second connection traveled over wires that were slightly noisier, or
slightly busier, or one of a hundred other possibilities. The odds that
there is a difference in connection speeds caused by a difference between
ppp and pppd lie somewhere between zero and null.

Bob Hall