wardriving question

Armand Passelac apasselac at free.fr
Thu Sep 11 02:51:26 PDT 2003

[---- On Sun, 07 Sep, 2003 at 16:43, Jeremy R Brinkley wrote: ----]
> I'm looking to do some wardriving.

Look Kismet and WifiScanner : tools to auditing and analyze Wireless traffic.

> I have a cisco aironet 350 pcmcia card
> and was wondering if I can capture raw packets in ethereal or ettercap. I'm
> also looking for a good netstumbler type program that will work with this
> card. I haven't found any decent ones. I'm considering buying an 802.11g
> card. Are there any decent ones which have an external antenna connector
> that are supported under freebsd?

On BSD I'm not sure (I think yes but try it).
In the following, I give you some sites and references about Wifi on Linux.
I don't check links since few months, but It should still exists...
Again, it should be work on Linux... I hope for you ;-)

Linux WLAN-NG driver project :
	Good WiFi driver project with a very good mailing list.
	Mozilla Public License
	www.linux-wlan.org
	Chipset Prism/Intersil

HostAP :
	How to make a Wifi gateway with few money ;-)
	License GPL
	http://hostap.epitest.fi

Kismet :
	License GPL
	http://www.kismetwireless.net
	Works with any kinds of Chipset
	Allow you to realize a stealth listening ;-)

WifiScanner :
	Tools to audit and analyze 802.11b network
	License GPL.
	Chipset Prism with driver Wlan-NG.