Compiling doscmd

David Bonthron (d.t.bonthron at leeds.ac.uk) meddtb at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Sep 11 02:28:51 PDT 2003

Hello all.
I am trying to set up doscmd, following the man and Marc Fonvieille's
article (http://soupnazi.org/freebsdzine/200103/doscmd.php). As X11
support is not compiled into doscmd in the 4.8-RELEASE system I am using,
I installed the usr/src/usr.bin sources. Then:

# cd /usr/src/usr.bin/doscmd
# setenv X11BASE /usr/X11R6
# make
Warning: Object directory not changed from original
/usr/src/usr.bin/doscmd
uudecode /usr/src/usr.bin/doscmd/cp437-8x8.pcf.gz.uu
uudecode /usr/src/usr.bin/doscmd/cp437-8x14.pcf.gz.uu
uudecode /usr/src/usr.bin/doscmd/cp437-8x16.pcf.gz.uu
make: don't know how to make
/usr/src/usr.bin/doscmd/../../share/syscons/fonts/cp437-8x8.fnt. Stop

Not a big surprise, because man doscmd says:

If doscmd emits the message X11 support not compiled in when supplied the
-x switch, this support can be added by defining an environment variable
X11BASE which points to the installed X Window System (normally
/usr/X11R6) and then typing make install in the source directory (nor-
mally /usr/src/usr.bin/doscmd).  For this to work, the X programmer's kit
must have been installed.

Can anyone tell me what exactly "X programmer's kit"? refers to? Is the
dependency on one particular library or package or do I have to resort to
installing the entire X development distribution? (I know the latter
course of action works, at least from one previous effort on a 5.1
machine, but I don't really want to install all this stuff just for the
sake of doscmd, do I ....?)

Can't shed much light on this by Googling and I am afraid I am pretty
clueless when it comes to rooting through Makefiles.

Thanks in advance for your help.

David