apache13 to apache13-modssl port migration

culley harrelson culley at fastmail.fm
Wed Sep 10 15:20:08 PDT 2003

> The transition is easy.
>
> 1) deinstall all your ports(modules) depended on apache13
> 2) install apache13-modssl.
> 3) recompile all ports(modules)
>
> You can use apache13-modssl just as a replacment to apache13.
> But apache13-modssl uses extrand API, so you have to
> recompile all apache modules with "apache13-modssl" installed.
>
> all modules will build, install and run fine, maybe portupgrade
> will see wrong dependencys.
>
> some ports suports this very well using in /etc/make.conf
> APACHE_PORT=	www/apache13-modssl
>
> still some ports use a "obsolete" setting like:
> APACHE_PORT=	${PORTSDIR}/www/apache13-modssl
> AP_PORT=	www/apache13-modssl
> AP_PORT=	apache13-modssl
>
> This might be improved after The 4.9 Release
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/32604
>
> kind regards Dirk

Would you avoid portupgrade for this?

I am a little shaky in the knees at this prospect.  This is on a
production web server getting over 1 million page views per day.  I use
mod_php4, mod_auth_pgsql, mod_gzip, mailman, and I have some other ports
installed like squirrelmail, mnogosearch, a bunch of pear libraries (not
even sure if they are dependent on apache13), phpMyAdmin and probably a
few other things I haven't even thought of. <gulp>

Once this is done do all these ports change to think they are dependent
on apache13-modssl rather than www/apache13?

culley