Howto install ports collection?

Alin-Adrian Anton aanton at reversedhell.net
Wed Sep 10 04:38:39 PDT 2003

Nagy László Zsolt wrote:

>  Hi gurus!
>
> I have a remote FreeBSD computer (RELEASE 4.7 stable). It is on the
> other side of Earth. I can access it only with ssh.
> It is really a base system. The ports collection (/usr/ports) is
> entirely missing. I'm familiar with installing ports. But I have
> no idea how to install the ports collection using only an ssh shell.
> Please give me a direction.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
>    Laci 1.0

The easiest way (if you have root access) is to use the CVSUP system. It
is well described in the handbook, and the handbook is available online
on www.freebsd.org . If you do not have the cvsup util already
installed, you need to find it and compile it yourself, after you fetch
it from the web. Or better, get a .tgz version which is a precompiled
package. Search for the source of it on www.freebsd.org/ports/

A very simple CVSUP config file to get the ports collection looks like this:

*default host=cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
#tag=. means FreeBSD-CURRENT
*default tag=.

#src-all
ports-all
Then just load 'cvsup file.sup', will do it.

Check the man pages of all the mentioned tools before.

Alin.