replace a working vinum drive in RAID-5 config

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Wed Sep 10 03:15:59 PDT 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to find out how to replace a drive in a vinum RAID-5 volume
that's still working. I have the following volume (copied by hand, sorry):

V local			State: up	Plexes:		1 Size:		167 GB
P local.p0	     R5 State: up	Subdisks:	4 Size:		167 GB
S local.p0.s0		State: up	PO:	     0  B Size:		 55 GB
S local.p0.s1		State: up	PO:	   512 kB Size:		 55 GB
S local.p0.s2		State: up	PO:	  1024 kB Size:		 55 GB
S local.p0.s3		State: up	PO:	  1536 kB Size:		 55 GB

with s0..s3 on drives locala..d. Drive localc is on device /dev/ad14s1e,
and that's the IDE disk I want to replace.

So far, I've thought of doing the following:

- boot the system single user
- enter vinum
- issue 'start' to read the configuration and start all volumes
- issue 'stop localc'
- this sets the state of local.p0.s2 to degraded automatically
- stop vinum
- halt the system
- physically replace the drive
- boot the system single user
- fdisk / disklabel the new drive to include a 55GB sized vinum partition
- enter vinum
- issue 'start' to read the configuration and start all volumes
- issue 'start local.p0.s2' to revive the subdisk

Can anyone confirm that this procedure will work? Or do I have to add
a new drive to the system on the same device as the previous one?

--Stijn

--
The most reliable proof that there are extraterrestrial intelligent
lifeforms out there is that nobody actually tries to get in contact