howto calculate free memory from top

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Tue Sep 9 13:47:20 PDT 2003

Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Sep 09), Jesse Guardiani said:
>> Charles Swiger wrote:
>> >
>> > What do you mean by "free memory"?
>>
>> Memory that can be used by other programs before the vm starts using
>> swap.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/admin.html#TOP-MEMORY-STATES
> does a pretty good job of explaining the states.

Yes, all except Buf, but `man top` explains that pretty well.

>> So they _are_ available for use then? And thus are relatively free,
>> correct?
>
> All memory except for Wired is "free", to varying degrees.

OK. Just out of curiosity, what would you say about my example then:

------
Mem: 72M Active, 668M Inact, 165M Wired, 29M Cache, 112M Buf, 70M Free
Swap: 2048M Total, 5448K Used, 2043M Free
------

Based on that FAQ, I would say that I've got about 80M of immediately
available memory, and if the system gets pushed really hard, I can
probably spare another 600M or so with relatively minimal swap usage.

Is that accurate?

Thanks!

Sincerely,

--