COM3 && COM4 && Modem

Claudiu Bichir claudiubichir at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 12:00:47 PDT 2003

Hy folks !
I have FreeBSD 5.0 installed on my computer and I wanted to know how can I
enable the COM3 & COM4 ports. The ports are disabled by default in 5.0.
I tried to modify /boot/device.hints but with no hope .
I commented hint.sio.2.disabled="1" and hint.sio.3.disabled="1" out but when I rebooted it said smt like "irq 5 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0 ;port may not be enabled;" the same goes for sio3(but with 9 instead of 5) .I'm just starting so ... don't know what to do anymore.
I already read the handbook and the sio(4) manual page but I haven't found something helpfull yet.
I'm asking all this because I have an Aztech UM9800 external modem which's on COM3(at least that's what Windows shows )and I cannot change its COM port to 1 or 2 .
It is recognized as ugen0 when the system boots.
It is an usb modem but I was told by people on this list that I can use it with FreeBSD.
If I can then I would appreciate any help from you on how to set it up.
Thanks people !