vinum: no drives found && partitiontype=vinum ?

Simon Strandgaard qj5nd7l02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Sep 9 10:43:48 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 17:29, Greg Lehey grog-at-lemis.com |stuff| wrote:
> On Sunday,  7 September 2003 at 11:31:41 +0200, Simon Strandgaard wrote:
[snip]
> > I can start it manualy:
> >
> > server# vinum create config1
> > 2 drives:
> > D a                     State: up       /dev/ad1s1c     A: 39166/39266 MB (99%)
> > D b                     State: up       /dev/ad2s1c     A: 229/329 MB (69%)
>
> This is a bug in Vinum.  It shouldn't let you start it manually.

It feelt really ackward.  I had overseen the 'setupstate' flag and it
solved the problem partialy for me :-)

> >From the man page:
>
> DRIVE LAYOUT CONSIDERATIONS
[snip]
>      In this example, partition ``g'' may be used as a vinum partition.  Par-
>      titions ``a'', ``e'' and ``f'' may be used as UFS file systems or ccd
>      partitions.  Partition ``b'' is a swap partition, and partition ``c''
>      represents the whole disk and should not be used for any other purpose.
[snip]
> Choose a different partition, and reset partition c to "unused".

Yes, I also oversaw this in the man pages. I figured it out last night
with trial'n'error, Now im using partition 'e:'.

Now vinum works perfectly for me. I appreciate your help, thanks :-)

I find vinums man pages is very good, but maybe the dd/fdisk/disklabel
sections are a bit vague and confusing for newcomers. What do you think?

--
Simon Strandgaard