Upgrading self-installed X with Ports version?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Sep 9 09:50:26 PDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:34:51AM -0400, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> monopoly/etc/X11 $ pkg_info -r XFree86-4.3.0,1
> Information for XFree86-4.3.0,1:
>
> Depends on:
> Dependency: expat-1.95.5
> Dependency: png-1.2.5_2
> Dependency: pkgconfig-0.15.0
> Dependency: imake-4.3.0_1
> Dependency: freetype2-2.1.4_1
> Dependency: fontconfig-2.2.0
> Dependency: XFree86-libraries-4.3.0_5
> Dependency: Xft-2.1_8
> Dependency: wrapper-1.0_3
> Dependency: XFree86-fontScalable-4.3.0
> Dependency: XFree86-fontCyrillic-4.3.0
> Dependency: XFree86-clients-4.3.0_3
>
> and running portupgrade(1) doesn't do much, as it apparently
> thinks I'm all set:
>
> monopoly/etc/X11 # portupgrade XFree86
> monopoly/etc/X11 #

Hmmm... I don't see the XFree86-Server port there.  You may have an X
Server installed, but because the system doesn't recognise it as part
of an installed port, it isn't attempting to upgrade it.

You can always force the port to reinstall:

    # portinstall -fN x11-servers/XFree86-4-Server

Although the ports system is very good at ensuring all of the
dependencies of a package are met, it does that by checking that key
executables or shared libraries or whatever are installed, rather than
checking the database of installed ports.  Also, when you run
pkgdb(1), it's possible to tell the package database to forget about a
dependency.  This, although it seems like a golden opportunity for
foot-shooting, is actually a clever move that allows you to mix
together 3rd party software installed by hand with software installed
from the ports system.  Although there's very little reason nowadays
to go outside ports.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way