Upgrading self-installed X with Ports version?

Jesse Sheidlower jester at panix.com
Tue Sep 9 07:40:13 PDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 03:44:45PM +0100, Wayne Pascoe wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:00:34AM -0400, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
>
> > I suppose this is a really stupid question, but what do I
> > need to do to get the newer, Ports version of XFree86 to be
> > the version run on the system? And is there anything I should
> > be doing to get it configured properly after the change is
> > made?
>
> It's possible that the start script for XFree86 that the port installs,
> is installed in a directory further down in the PATH variable. This
> means that when you call startx, you're starting the older version, which
> in turn calls the older version of X.

I considered this, but the current (i.e., wrong) version is as
far down as it could possibly be:

XFree86 Version 4.2.0 / X Window System
Release Date: 18 January 2002
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
        newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
        reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE-p1 i386 [ELF]
Module Loader present
monopoly/etc/X11 # which XFree86
/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86
monopoly/etc/X11 # echo $PATH
/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/jester/bin

Where should the port be installing its version?

> Your best bet is to remove the port entirely, remove the existing X
> server and re-install the port. This way you'll only have one version of
> X on the box.

Probably another stupid question, but how much do I have to remove
to remove the existing X server? I'm happy to delete the server
files, but don't want to accidentally wipe out other things that
I'll still want.

Thank you.

Jesse Sheidlower