dail in server

K Anderson freebsduser at comcast.net
Mon Sep 8 19:30:35 PDT 2003

Your Name wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Does freebsd provide dialin server function?
>
> If yes, please give me hint
>
> I can't get information in the documentation
>
> Thank you

Hint - Search google.

But seriously, I searched google and here's what I found.

Dial-in service FreeBSD 3.2      04/03/2000
A. B. Wallace <awallace at physics.angelo.edu>

Most modems come preset for dial-out service.  To make your modem
answer incoming calls, several steps need to be taken.

1.  Install your modem.

2.  Edit /etc/rc.serial to reflect the proper port for your modem.
     Uncomment the line modem d a 1 for a modem on COM2.  If your
     modem is on COM1, edit the line to read modem d a 0.  Be sure
     to check the speed settings in the modem() section to see if
     they are reasonable.  Most V32's should be set to 38400 and
     V42's to 56700.

3.  Check to see if your modem's port is listed in /etc/remote.
     Make sure the device file points to the correct port.  For a
     V42 modem on COM2, the line should read

  cuaa1:dv=/dev/cuaa1:br#57600:pa=none:

4.  Use tip in FreeBSD to set the modem's nvram for echo off (E0),
     no result codes (Q1), and auto answer (&S0=1).  Then write the
     current profile to nvram and reboot the machine.  Here is the
     AT command sequence.  AT commands must be typed in separately.

  at&v  show current profile

  ate0  turn off echo

  atq1  turn off result codes

  at&s0=1  turn on auto answer

  at&y0  load new profile on boot

  at&w0  write new profile

5.  Reboot your machine to load the new modem profile.

6.  Edit /etc/ttys and uncomment the proper dial-in port line
     and set dialup to on.  Be sure to set your speed according to
     your modem.  For V32's, the line should read something like

  ttyd1 "/usr/libexec/getty std.38400" dialup on insecure

     For V42's, set the speed to std.57600.

7.  Start the getty process on your modem by typing kill -1 1 or
     kill -HUP 1.  The output from ps ax should show a line running
     a getty process on the modem's port.

  935  ??  I  0:00.02 /usr/libexec/getty std.38400 ttyd1

8.  Test the dial-in connection from another machine.  If all is
     correct, you should get a login prompt.