FreeBSD install corrupts neighboring partitions

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 8 19:06:57 PDT 2003

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 01:06:52 +0200, Raphaël Marmier
<raphael at computer-rental.ch> wrote:

> Le Lundi, 8 sep 2003, à 22:01 Europe/Zurich, Jud a écrit :
>
> --snip--
>>  Once you've installed FreeBSD, if you
>> can't boot back into Windows, use the Windows tools to restore the
>> familiar Win MBR: for 9x, boot from the emergency floppy and run fdisk
>> /mbr; for more recent versions, boot from CD into console repair mode
>> and
>> run fixboot and fixmbr.
>
> In my case, I think I could mount the windows partition only from linux.
> I couldn't read it with a dos disk (same w98 se). So I thought that it
> was some kind of incompatibility between the way FreeBSD/Linux and
> Windows recognized the drive's geometry. Installing freeBSD would change
> something in subtil way in the partition table that would confuse
> windows' boot loader. I did fdisk /mbr, sys c:, etc... to no avail.
> Finally, installing windows in second solved the issue. I never really
> understood what happened though.
>
> I have to mention the windows partition was not the first primary
> partition (well, ok, slice in BSDspeak).
>
> Raphaël

In order to boot, a Windows 98SE partition ordinarily must "think it is"
the first primary partition.  This and the fact that you also had Linux
installed (or was this a Linux CD?) indicates to me there was other
software involved in your situation beyond simply Windows and FreeBSD.

Jud