5.1 & WD 80.0GB SE Drive Geometry

Jim jhorvath at frabill.com
Mon Sep 8 10:43:44 PDT 2003

Had to set the drive detection type in the BIOS to "user" (manual) instead
of auto, and make sure the drive itself was set as a single master without
slave (e.g. all jumpers removed) as well as specifying LBA directly, but
with the drive set up manually in the BIOS, the jumpers yanked, and LBA
specified, the install ran through (using the geometry FreeBSD picked) and
it fired up just fine.

For reference, this was a FreeBSD 5.1 standard minimal installation on a
single Western Digital 80GB special edition IDE (ATA100) drive connected to
an ECS P4VXMS mainboard running Award BIOS rev 1.2c (the latest).

Thanks much to everyone who helped with this.

Jim