aliasing ethernet cards in FBSD

Gary gv-list-freebsdquestions at mygirlfriday.info
Mon Sep 8 08:16:12 PDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 03:53:15PM +0100 or thereabouts, Barry Byrne wrote:

> > How would I do this in FBSD, setting up an aliased ether to an Ip address?
> > my current rc.conf file currently contains just the address of the
> > machine, as such.
> > ifconfig_rl0="inet 192.168.0.100 netmask 255.255.255.0"

> Add something like:
>
> ifconfig_rl0_alias0="inet 192.168.0.200 netmask 0xffffffff"
> to rc.conf

Perfect solution, thank you for your geat input.

> if you want to bring this up without rebooting, try
> ifconfig rl0 alias 192.168.0.200 netmask 0xffffffff

Right..

> Note. That the netmask is 0xffffffff if the alias is on the same subnet as
> the original IP, if different, then use the appropriate submask for the new
> alias.

Yes, when I build these systems, I usually put them on the same subnet to
keep it simple...unless I can't.

Thanks very much Barry... In many ways, I find FBSD more powerful, yet
more simple to use than Linux (at least so far).. <g>
--
Gary

Doing a job RIGHT the first time gets the job done. Doing the
job WRONG fourteen times gives you job security.