802.11g and FreeBSD based access point ...

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Mon Sep 8 07:42:32 PDT 2003

Matthias Teege wrote:

> "Vledder, Hans" <Hans_Vledder at nl.compuware.com> writes:
>
>> I am considering building a 802.11g FreeBSD access point. I've read that
>> I will need a network adapter that supports hostap (access point mode).
>> Does anyone known a brand/model (PCI) that's being supported by FreeBSD ?
>
> Netgear PCI Cards (401a?) are supported but this may change.

Look for something with an Atheros chipset. See the ath man page for details:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ath&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+5.1-current&format=html

You'll have to run -CURRENT to drive it though. ath was added after 5.1-RELEASE.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,