removing swap space...only by reboot? A bug?

Rob Lahaye lahaye at snu.ac.kr
Mon Sep 8 01:28:55 PDT 2003

Hi,

"man swapon" says:

BUGS
      There is no way to stop paging and swapping on a device.  It is therefore
      not possible to dismount swap devices which are mounted during system
      operation.

Is that still a bug?

------

The Handbook explains how additional swap space can be added to a running system,
without need for reboot. I have added a swap file this way.

If I want to stop using that swap file, or use another one, that is bigger, smaller or
on another partition; how should I proceed?

Is a reboot the only way to go? Or is there a run-time command that disconnects the kernel
from certain swap space and allows its removal?

Thanks,
Rob.