how to check which COM port modem is connected to?

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Sun Sep 7 20:06:26 PDT 2003

On Sunday 07 September 2003 08:40 pm, Tadimeti Keshav wrote:
> Thanks Alex,
> I know that already. But I completely removed windows
> 98 from my machine, but forgot to take note of which
> port the modem is connected to.
> I included COM3,COM4 in my custom kernel.
> Thanks in advance...
>

>  --- Alex Zivenko <twistfire at rambler.ru> wrote: > You
> must know it.
>
> > In windows name of port is comx
> > in Unix - /dev/cuax-1
> > com1 - cua0, com2-cua1, com3 - cua2
> > Have you win on this PC? Then you can see there.

If you've installed KDE, you can use the the device tab in KPPP's account
setup to query different serial devices.  It's worked for me in the past.

Also, make sure you have enough sio's.  I think the GENERIC kernel only
creates 2; so if you have 2 hardware serial ports, a PCI modem won't show up.

I hope this helps,

Andrew L. Gould