Recording with my sound card...

Kees Jan Koster kjkoster at kjkoster.org
Sun Sep 7 14:42:26 PDT 2003

Dear All,

FreeBSD detects my sound card properly, but does not record from it.
Playing works.

>From dmesg:
pcm0: <VIA VT8233 (pre)> port 0xe400-0xe4ff irq 11 at device 17.5 on
pci0
pcm0: <Avance Logic ALC200 AC97 Codec>
isa0: too many memory ranges

Is that isa0 message something I should worry about?

LikeEver% cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <VIA VT8233 (pre)> at io 0xe400 irq 11 (1p/1r/0v channels duplex)

Starting audacity (from the ports) works and playback works fine.
However, I cannot edit the preferences. Each time I try to "ok" the
preferences (even the default ones) I get the message "invalid playback
device". Both playback and recording devices are set to "/dev/dsp". This
device exists.

Platform is a recent -stable.

--
 Yours,