GDM Greeter cores on FreeBSD

Kees Jan Koster kjkoster at kjkoster.org
Sun Sep 7 14:18:32 PDT 2003

Dear All,

I use the Gnome GDM2 greeter in graphical mode, but recent versions of
it dump core (signal 6). This happens on both machines that I use it on.
One is a desktop and the other is a laptop, so I dounbt it is a hardware
issue.

My OS is FreeBSD-stable, cvsupped as of this week. I use portupgrade to
keep my ports up to date.

To reproduce:

 * install recent (this week) version of FreeBSD's gdm2 port.
 * start it using the shell script in /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d
 * choose the configure option
 * enter root password
 * pick graphical mode
 * *churn, churn* *POW* signal 6

warning: GDM greeter will not restart at all after following the above
procedure. I removed the port and reinstalled it to fix the problem.

Plain mode (default) works fine, so that is what I use now.

Anyone else see this problem? How do I fix this?

 Yours,
   Kees Jan