linux_base

Scott Ballantyne sdb at ssr.com
Sun Sep 7 08:08:10 PDT 2003

I find I can't install linux_base or linux_base-8 without running as
single user. This is quite odd, since I haven't had this problem
previously.

If I'm running multi-user (as toor), the build stops when installing
glibc. In linux_base, there's actually a coredump, in linux_base-8, it
just stops. This happens even running the GENERIC kernel (I had
previously thought it was perhaps related to a custom kernel).

However, if I drop to single user mode, and make install, it
completes, although I get many of the following error messages
intended for syslogd:

linux: syscall mmap2 (obsolete or not implemented (pid = xxxx)

(I couldn't figure out which process the pid was, sorry).

and the install script gives many of:

no user/group rpm - using root.

However, the linux binaries all seem to run fine, so alls well I
guess. Still, I am curious why this should be occuring.

Anyone know?

Thanks,
Scott
sdb at ssr.com