How to remove a vinum volume?

Samuel Chow cyschow at shaw.ca
Sat Sep 6 23:40:08 PDT 2003

Hi there,

    I have the following vinum volume that I want to remove.
    The disks will be reassigned to other machines.

    vinum -> l -r dataVol
    V dataVol          State: up  Plexes:       1 Size: 65 GB
    P dataVol.p0     C State: up  Subdisks:     2 Size: 65 GB
    S dataVol.p0.s0    State: up  PO:        0  B Size: 28 GB
    S dataVol.p0.s1    State: up  PO:       28 GB Size: 37 GB

    After reading the man page, I am under the impression that
    I am supposed to first use the stop command.

    vinum -> stop -r dataVol
    vinum -> l -r dataVol
    V dataVol          State: down  Plexes:       1 Size: 65 GB
    P dataVol.p0     C State: up    Subdisks:     2 Size: 65 GB
    S dataVol.p0.s0    State: up    PO:        0  B Size: 28 GB
    S dataVol.p0.s1    State: up    PO:       28 GB Size: 37 GB

    Umm... The stop command doesn't seem to work recursively, even
    when the -r flag is specified.

    vinum -> rm -r dataVol
    Can't remove dataVol: Device busy (16)

    vinum -> l -r dataVol
    V dataVol          State: up    Plexes:       1 Size: 65 GB
    P dataVol.p0     C State: up    Subdisks:     2 Size: 65 GB
    S dataVol.p0.s0    State: up    PO:        0  B Size: 28 GB
    S dataVol.p0.s1    State: up    PO:       28 GB Size: 37 GB

    Did I misunderstand the sequence required to remove a vinum
    volume?

    BTW, this machine is running RELENG_4 checked out on
    Mar 1, 2003.  Thanks.

---
Samuel Chow
cyschow at shaw.ca

Segmentation Fault (core dumped)
This message is displayed using recycled electrons.