host and hostname

horio shoichi bugsgrief at bugsgrief.net
Fri Sep 5 05:01:22 PDT 2003

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 10:46:25 +0900
"Rommel B. Ikeda" <r_ikeda at oisca.org> wrote:
> Thanks very much for the reply, my apologies for not replying so soon....
>
> Actually, I posted my question on "host and hostname", because, I have been
> trying to find out if my Internet Settings is correct or not...I am having
> problems with cvsup for a very long long time now...
>
> Actually, I did tried:
> # host freebsd.org
> Host not found, Try again
>
> I know that their is something wrong with our internet connection in our
> company...but, I do not think that the person in-charge of our Computer Room
> can help me...Unfortunately, Although we are an NGO, Nobody knows about
> FreeBSD yet in our Organization...
>
> Anyways, about my comments on "Can someone point me to some information
> about it aside from the man
> pages...", I do read the man pages, everytime, but on the time that I was
> reading about the "host and hostname", I was a little in a hurry and those
> technical terms just made my head ached so, I though maybe I would ask
> everybody, just for this time...My head was really full with the problems I
> have with cvsup...
>
> Thanks anyway...
>
> Rommel B. Ikeda
> OISCA-International
> http://www.oisca.org/

Looks like you don't have /etc/resolv.conf file.

The content would be like this, assuming your site has no other name servers:

domain oisca.org
nameserver 164.46.1.1
nameserver 211.10.162.68

	BTW, the nameservers are taken from whois database for oisca.org.

	   NS1.FIRSTSERVER.NE.JP        164.46.1.1
	   NS2.FIRSTSERVER.NE.JP        211.10.162.68

horio shoichi