xdm config files overwritten after upgrading Xfree86-clients from ports

Mike Remski mremski at ix.netcom.com
Fri Sep 5 04:19:44 PDT 2003

Good Morning Heinrich.

Yes, that's pretty much expected behaviour.  Each port is different in the way that it treats it's configuration files.  Some of them will have a "file.config.sample" that you usually copy over to "file.config" and modify.  That way you don't lose your changes, but you can see if there are any new options you may want.

As you found out, XFree86 (and related ones), don't do this (except for your XF86Config, which lives in /etc/X11).  Each port has a file pkg_plist that usually lists the files it contains.  Another way to find out is to use (before you delete the old one):

    portversion -v ( to get the full name of the package)
    pkg_info -L <pkg_name> to list the files it contains

One thing you may want to consider:  rcs is part of the default system.  It doesn't take much to setup and keep track of changes you make to files like that.  I do it everytime I make changes to my local config files, even .tcshrc and .emacs.  It makes it easy to back track when you really screw up :)

"When you start to worry what other people think of you, it's time to go fishing"