xdm config files overwritten after upgrading Xfree86-clients from ports

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Sep 5 04:10:49 PDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 12:59:38PM +0200, Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
> Hi lists,
>
> I upgraded Xfree86-clients from ports using portupgrade today and noticed
> that xdm was no longer working afterwards.
> After some searching i found that the config files in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm had been overwritten.
>
> Since i had a similar problem with another port the other day, i want to
> ask:
>
> - Is this expected behaviour?
> - Should i manually inspect my config files after each portupgrade?
> - Or is this just a bug in XFree86-clients (and possibly some other ports)?
>
> Luckily, my changes to the config files were only minor, so i did not have
> to restore them from tape :-)
>
> Anyway it's annoying..

Yes, I've been bitten by this in the past.  In theory you can avoid
re-installing the xdm config files by:

    % make install InstallXdmConfig=NO

or by adding that variable to the MAKE_ARGS array in
/usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf is you're a portupgrade(1) user.
However, I just keep a backup copy of the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm
directory handy:

    # cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/
    # rsync -avx --delete xdm/ xdm.bak/

	Cheers,