ips.ko load sequence

Richard Puga puga at mauibuilt.com
Thu Sep 4 19:08:30 PDT 2003

I do have the ips driver working with the IBM ServerRaid 5i. However it
only works if I boot off an IDE drive and load the driver after the
kernel is loaded.

What I believe the problem to be is the fact that this "Raid" card is
just an add in card to a modified PCI slot  that makes the on board LSI
dual channel controller into a RAID, and something in the kernel is
separate devices act as one through the PCI bus and is the reason the
ips.ko driver can only be loaded after booting.

I believe a quick and dirty fix for this may be to load the ips.ko
module after the kernel has booted and before init mounts /.

Is there a way to do this via something in /boot/loader (the standard
way in loader.conf loads it too soon) or perhaps a way to compile isp
into the kernel in a way that it would be probed at a later time or in a
different sequence?

Thanks again in advance

Richard Puga
puga at mauibuilt.com