Ghost for FreeBSD

Vincent Poy vince at oahu.WURLDLINK.NET
Wed Sep 3 14:07:18 PDT 2003

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Joshua Oreman wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 01:12:25PM +0000 or thereabouts, Mark wrote:

	That was how I did it originally but dump said to add the -L flag
for live filesystems so I changed it to:

mkdir /mnt/root
mount /dev/<ROOT-MIRROR-DEV> /mnt/root
cd /mnt/root
/sbin/dump -L -f- / | restore -rf-

> You will not *need* to umount the root partition.
> (If you wanted to hot-swap between them, I'm not sure it's possible on FBSD.
>  There is a ``pivot_root'' syscall on linux, though.)

	Yep, I just do it as a script on a nightly basis and kill sendmail
before the dump/restore and then later run sendmail automatically after
the dump/restore so I don't lose anything in the dump/restore process.  I
don't think you can hotswap but /stand/sysinstall's disk labeler sure has
a way to mount the second drive if you actually put in / and /usr as mountpoints and
write it.

> To mirror another partition, do mostly the same thing, but replace /
> with the partition in the dump line (and make sure the correct
> destination is mounted on your current directory for the restore).

	Yeah, I made the mistake originally when I tested it two days ago
and put / for /mnt/usr and I noticed it dump/restore in less than
a minute and then realize I forgot to change it to /usr.

> Dump/restore is pretty much the accepted way of doing this.

	One thing I'm trying to figure out is dump will tell you to use -L
for a live filesystem but what happens if certain files change on the
original slices while it's doing the dump/restore.

Cheers,
Vince - vince at WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1 at IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin