Suggestions to a command line editor

Gerard Samuel gsam at trini0.org
Wed Sep 3 07:50:49 PDT 2003

Well I've been using FreeBSD for the past maybe 4 years now.
I've been using "ee" (don't laugh) to do all my editing on the command line.
Im looking to grow out of "ee" into something else.
Naturally, something that can open/edit files.
And if possible, I've heard of editors with color syntax highlighting,
search/replace,
and other voodoo, that "ee" isn't capable of.
In general, I edit FreeBSD system files, php/html and related files.

Any suggestions are welcome, while I look through the ports to see if
anything jumps out at me...
Thanks for any tips you may provide...