5.1R Install not Installing Kernel

Jason C. Wells jcw at highperformance.net
Tue Sep 2 18:19:05 PDT 2003

The 5.1R install that I just completed twice doesn't boot.  The boot
loader comes to a prompt for F1 or F2 and hangs.  Pressing F1 or F2
results in a beep from the computer.  F1 has a base install. F2 is an
empty slice that I have set aside.

When using kern.flp to boot the system, interupting the boot process and
typing "?" shows that /kernel is not listed.  (I have been warned that the
hierarchy has changed, but don't see where the kernel might have moved, if
at all.)

Are the install floppies broken?

And also, kern.flp doesn't seem to give a fixit.flp option that the docs
say it should.  How can I use fixit.flp in 5.1R?  I would use fixit.flp to
repair my semi-complete install if I could get it to work.

Also, what is the proper forum for this question?  I am a bit confused as
to whether I should be posting to -current, since this is being called a
release.

BTW, it's a testament to FreeBSD that I haven't had to bother you guys for
about two years!

Thanks,
Jason C. Wells