SH Core Dumps

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Sep 2 05:41:36 PDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 09:26:49PM +0930, Kim Needham wrote:

> Im running 5.1-RELEASE-p2 which I updated last sunday.
> While I was rebuilding some of the packages, /bin/sh seems to
> randomly core dump, which is causing many things not to
> compile correctly.
>
> Is this a known problem? I generally get a signal 4, though
> occasionally a signal 11 when it fails.

Classic symptoms of hardware failure, probably of some of the memory
in your machine, or possibly the CPU.  This sort of thing comes up all
the time on this list: check the archives for details.

> Any suggestions/help?

Try running a few passes of memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.org/) to
confirm that you have a problem.  Try pulling out half of your memory
sticks to see if you can isolate the faulty component.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way