problems with LPD

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Thu Oct 30 19:08:09 PST 2003

At 8:45 PM -0700 10/28/03, <MPAREDES at telmex.com> wrote:

>I have a printer configured in the BSD, is working fine, now
>I need to enable that other systems print in this printer,
>to do this I add 2 lines to the file /etc/hosts.lpd
>
>10.192.2.134
>as_nte.intranet.telmex.com.
>
>but the remote system can't print, so I run lpd with -c flag
>to enable all the connections error via syslog.
>
>In the file /var/log/lpd-errs I have this message repeated
>
>Oct 28 20:25:11 bsdsis lpd[10575]: Host name for remote host
>(10.192.2.134) not known (8)
>
>why doesn't print, if the ip is in the file hosts.lpd?
>
>If I run the command "host 10.192.2.134", it return me 3
>names and one of them is "as_nte.intranet.telmex.com"

You should only need the real hostname in /etc/hosts.lpd.
You do not need to list the real IP address in addition
to the hostname.

To get the mapping between hosts and IP addresses to work,
you would have to put an entry in /etc/hosts:

10.192.2.134	as_nte.intranet.telmex.com

and then put just the line:

as_nte.intranet.telmex.com

in /etc/hosts.lpd

>Also, I like to enable the printers (all) in this server
>to be accessible to any one in the net 10.

I saw your earlier question on this, and I believe the answer
is that there isn't any good way to do this.  You might be
able to set something up with a netgroup, although that is
not documented very well.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu