Problems using mysql-4.0 under 5.1-RELEASE

Frank Bartels freebsd at knarf.de
Tue Oct 28 10:55:26 PST 2003

Heya all,

I have big problems using mysql. I really tried so many different
combinations of software and configurations, but it's always the
same: mysqld crashes.

My preferred setup:

FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p10
/usr/ports cvsupped daily
perl-5.8.0_8 (will try 5.8.1 soon)
mysql-server-4.0.16
mysql-client-4.0.16

I get the following error message in /var/db/mysql/hostname.err:

---snip---
031028 18:35:16  mysqld restarted
031028 18:35:17  InnoDB: Started
/usr/local/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '4.0.16'  socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock'  port: 3306
mysqld got signal 11;
This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this binary
or one of the libraries it was linked against is corrupt, improperly built,
or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning hardware.
We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help diagnose
the problem, but since we have already crashed, something is definitely wrong
and this may fail.

key_buffer_size=8388600
read_buffer_size=131072
max_used_connections=0
max_connections=100
threads_connected=0
It is possible that mysqld could use up to
key_buffer_size + (read_buffer_size + sort_buffer_size)*max_connections = 225791
bytes of memory
Hope that's ok; if not, decrease some variables in the equation.

Number of processes running now: 0
031028 18:35:17  mysqld restarted
031028 18:35:17  InnoDB: Started
[...]
---snap---

I really do not understand the error message. I don't know the value
of sort_buffer_size and I do not understand how 8388600 +
something-positive can be just 225791. I have 1 GB swap, so this
cannot be the problem?

This error happens every time when someone is trying to connect to
the database using IP (not socket). Because all the mysql-clients
in my network try to connect to the database all the time, the
server starts and crashes, starts and crashes and so on...

I build mysql using portinstall databases/mysql40-server, my make.conf
says just CPUTYPE?=p3, sometimes just ?=i586 depending on the machine
I used and the things needed for perl-5.8.0. I do not use any of
the mysql build options. I've tested this with the default database
and with my own database (which worked fine for years with FreeBSD
4.x and mysql-3.23.x). I think the dilemma began after upgrading
from FreeBSD 4.8 to 5.1 and after upgrading mysql-3.23.57 (still
the binary built with 4.8) to mysql-3.23.58 for the first time.
Then I decided to upgrade to mysql-4.0 which did not cure the
problem. Oh, maybe this is not really interesting, but I use LANG=C
and LC_CTYPE=de_DE.ISO8859-15.

I also got the message:

Oct 24 16:01:24 otherhost kernel: Oct 24 16:01:24 otherhost mysqld[13083]: warning: can't get client address: Bad file descriptor
Oct 24 16:01:55 otherhost kernel: Oct 24 16:01:29 otherhost mysqld[13083]: warning: can't get client address: Bad file descriptor

This problem was "solved" by editing /etc/hosts.allow this way: