chmod after installworld

Jim jhorvath at frabill.com
Tue Oct 28 05:56:46 PST 2003

New to FreeBSD.  Version 4.8 stable.  Fresh install.

Why am I allowed to chmod 000 a file after installation (ex: /usr/bin/rsh,
or /usr/bin/yppasswd), but cannot following a cvsup and installworld?  I get
an "Operation not allowed" message after updating.

A listing of the file shows "-r-sr-xr-x root wheel" as the permissions and
ownership.  The "s" is common to all the files I cannot change (I believe
this indicates the suid bit (which is why I'm trying to chmod this in the
first place)), but chmod 0000 produces the same results (not allowed).

I am logged in as root on the console, am not running ACL, yellow pages, or
anything else for authentication beyond master.passwd at this stage (fresh
install).

I have looked at the man page for chmod, and searched google, with no
results.

Please help.