FreeBSD security ....

Edward Epstein peepstein at canada.com
Tue Oct 28 04:48:11 PST 2003

On October 28, 2003 4:34 am, Shrikant wrote:

>Dear All ,
>
>Is it possible that i give a Normal (without  wheel rights) user to  access
> my server using ftp ,and he can only browse thru his home directory not
> above that .If it is possbile pls reply me .

If you create the file /etc/ftpchroot and put the name of the user in that
file (one name per line), the ftp daemon in the base install will chroot the
user to their home directory. For exact details and more options, read the
ftpchroot manual page by typing "man ftpchroot" at a shell prompt.

Regards,
Ed

--

"There are people who cheat on their spouse but not at cards, and vice versa,
and both and neither. Reputation is not necessarily portable from one

"It has been said that man is a rational animal.  All my life I have
been searching for evidence which could support this."
--Bertrand Russell.

"The American empire is ideological, not territorial. We are the most
ideological people in the world, and we are so united in our view that we
don't understand there can be other views."
--Lt. Gen. William Odom, ret. (Former Director of NSA).