JDK 'make install' - puzzling error message

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Tue Oct 28 02:45:13 PST 2003

On Tuesday 28 October 2003 02:34 am, Richard Shea wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:18:25 -0800, "Kent Stewart" <kstewart at owt.com>
>
> said:
> > On Monday 27 October 2003 05:52 pm, Richard Shea wrote:
> > > Hi - I've just gone to ...
> > >
> > > http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/Display?BundleId=7479
> > >
> > > ... to download the JDK and put it into ports/distfiles. However when I
> > > do 'make install' from /usr/ports/java/linux-sun-jdk13 I get ...
> > >
> > > ===>  linux-sun-jdk-1.3.1.07_1 You must manually fetch the Java 2
> > > Development Kit 1.3.1.07 archive (j2sdk-1_3_1_07-linux-i586.bin) from
> > > http://java.sun.com/webapps/download/Display?BundleId=7479, download
> > > the Linux GNUZIP Tar shell script into /usr/ports/distfiles and then
> > > run make again.
> > >
> > > ... well I've got two problems arising from that.
> > >
> > > First following that link mentioned in the error message now gives you
> > > j2sdk-1_3_1_08-linux-i586.bin not the 07 version - so does anyone know
> > > how I can get the 07 version ?.
> > >
> > > The other thing is that I'm afraid I have no idea what 'the Linux
> > > GNUZIP Tar shell script' might be or where I should get it from - is
> > > that another name for what I've downloaded ?
> >
> > Your port system seems to be out of date. The current version is 09 and
> > the
> > *.bin file is the file you are to download into ../distfiles.
>
> Thanks for your reply and your advice Kent. I'm looking into how to
> update my ports now but in the meantime if the current version is 09 can
> anyone tell me how I can get hold of that ? As I said if I follow the
> link mentioned ( http://java.sun.com/ webapps/ download/
> Display?BundleId=7479 ) in the error message I'm only offered the 08
> version.
>
> Also sorry to be obtuse but I'm still not clear what the "Linux GNUZIP
> Tar shell script" is - is that another name for
> "j2sdk-1_3_1_08-linux-i586.bin" (and variants) ?

If you had cvsup'ed ports-all and then did a "make index", you would have seen

# cd  /usr/ports/java/linux-sun-jdk13
# make
===>  linux-sun-jdk-1.3.1.09 You must manually fetch the Java 2 Development
Kit 1.3.1.09 archive (j2sdk-1_3_1_09-linux-i586.bin) from http://
java.sun.com/webapps/download/Display?BundleId=8901, download the Linux
GNUZIP Tar shell script into /usr/ports/distfiles and then run make again.

I downloaded the *.09*.bin into ../distfiles and make worked at that point.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA