Linux port.....

Andrew Humphries humphie at ucip.boyko.org
Mon Oct 27 05:11:49 PST 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 13:51, C. Ulrich wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 00:43, andi payn wrote:
> > 4. While running a similar set of services, FreeBSD may be using less
> > background processing time. Or maybe not. I definitely see significantly
> > lower CPU usage (idling under X, FreeBSD shows about 2-10% CPU, linux
> > about 15-35%). However, this may just be an artifact of linux's
> > notoriously bad reporting, or the fact that I'm using the O(1) kernel
> > and preemptible kernel patches, or maybe something stupid some GNOME
> > applet is doing because I configured it wrong under linux; who knows....
>
> Check with top to see which processes are using the CPU. For me, 9 times
> out of 10, it's the X server itself taking up cycles for doing nothing.
> It won't do it right after a fresh boot, but some program along the way
> usually triggers the siphoning of the CPU usage.
>
> Charles Ulrich

I have found this an awful lot whilst running X under Linux. After a
fresh boot, with nothing running, it works nicely. Give it a couple open
applications, and even when nothing is running except X itself, it will
take up extra CPU time and physical memory space until freshly booted
again.

Regards,

--
Andrew Humphries <humphie at ucip.boyko.org>