RCS question

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at munk.nu
Sun Oct 26 19:59:20 PST 2003

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 06:17:18PM -0500, Alden Louis-Pierre wrote:

>    I'm learning how to use the RCS utility.  I never knew such a tool
> existed.  I understand the commands and concept,
> but as always I need some enlightment with the following question:
>
> /home/apierre/RCS - my RCS directory
>
> /home/apierre/Prog/C/Joy_of_C/chp_1 - the location of my C files from a
> book I'm learning.
>
> If I were to ci(check in) my files from were my C files is located,
> would my revisions be placed in my RCS directory?
If you did this an rcs file would be created in the *same* directory as
the C files.  You probably want to create an RCS folder:

/home/apierre/Prog/C/Joy_of_C/chp_1/RCS/

I don't know how you'd make ci/co use a *specific* directory each time -
that's more the way cvs works than rcs I believe.  Actually - reading the
manpage for ci it appears you can do what you're suggesting, but it
sounds fiddly.  See the section 'FILE NAMING' in the 'ci' manpage for
more details.

The way I usually use it is to keep track of configuration file changes.
So for example to keep track of httpd.conf file changes, I created a
folder /usr/local/etc/apache/RCS.  Then whenever I change the httpd.conf
file /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf, I run 'ci httpd.conf'
in /usr/local/etc/apache and the changes are commited to the rcs file
in /usr/local/etc/apache/RCS/.

I then issue 'co -l httpd.conf' to check the file back out again and
lock it to use it.

--
Jez Hancock
 - System Administrator / PHP Developer