russian xkblayout

Alexey Koptsevich kopts at astro.ioffe.rssi.ru
Sun Oct 26 17:51:22 PST 2003

Hello,

After recent reinstallation of X I cannot use Russian layout anymore. With
the old release (4.1.0), I had two lines in the XF86Config file which did
the job:
       Option  "XkbLayout"       "ru"
       Option  "XkbOptions"      "grp:shift_toggle"
They installed the map with columns 1,2 filled with Latin keysyms, and
columns 3,4 filled with Cyrillic keysyms (as reported by 'xmodmap -pk' or
xkeycaps), and double shift switched the layout.

With the new release of X (4.3.0), and with the above options in the
XF86Config retained, I get the map with columns 1,2 filled with Cyrillic
keysyms, and columns 3,4 empty :(

OK, if XKB method does not work, I tried to switch back to older scheme,
xruskb with XkbLayout "en". This way, the columns are switched (as
reported by xkeycaps), but only empty keysyms are generated in Russian
mode (as reported by xev). Were there some changes on the way between
these two version of X? I cannot find anything in the docs or lists...

Any idea would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex