Kernelpath & arplookup.

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sat Oct 25 06:59:17 PDT 2003

Peter Terpstra wrote:
> In <3F998716.3040300 at potentialtech.com>,
> op de datum 2003-10-24 om 16:09, Bill Moran schreef:
>
>>>arp:
>>>Frequently I get this message on the first console:
>>>arplookup 213.84.240.105 failed: host is not on local network
>>
>>This means your network is configured strangely, although a lot of ISPs
>>seem to think this is the way to do it.
>>
>>>I searched the inter-net, but I did not found a satisfying answer.
>>>213.84.240.105 is hanging on the inter-net, an FreeBSD has a local IP-adres.
>>
>>So why this arplookup? What causes this lookup?
>
>>You have computers on your hub that have a network number that doesn't
>>jive with the IP/netmask you've assigned to the network card.  If you
>>don't care, you can ignore the messages.  All it means is that ARP was
>>not able to turn the IP address into a MAC address.
>
> My situation is: [Internet] -> [213.84.240.105] -> [192.168.1.0/255]

This diagram doesn't really explain enough about your setup for me to know
where the problem is coming from.

> I don't see yet way I can or should change. Maybe is suppressing the message
> the best thing to do?

The best thing to do is take some time to learn enough about IP routing to
understand what's going on and decide whether or not your setup is correct
and just a little odd, or whether you should change it.

You really haven't provided enough information for me to tell you
what the correct course of action is, but, if everything works, chances
are you can just ignore the messages and get on with your life.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies