Upgrading the kernel

Ryan Thompson ryan at sasknow.com
Thu Oct 23 15:38:07 PDT 2003

Robert H. Perry wrote to Ryan Thompson:

> >In your scenario, yes, you'll definitely want to build a new kernel.
> >In fact, I hope you elected to go with the security branch
> >(RELENG_4_8), so that you get the 13 or so security related fixes
> >that have been applied since 4.8 was released.
>
> Hadn't intended to, but now I'll have to consider it.  This is my
> first upgrade and I was sticking with the basics.

Yep. If you're upgrading from source anyway, upgrading to RELENG_4_8 is
no harder than -RELEASE.

> > If not, then it defaults to GENERIC. In your case, though, again,
> > you shouldn't have any problems building from your custom conf.
>
> Just to clarify then, is the following OK:
>
> # cd /usr/src
> # make buildkernel KERNCONF=CUSTOM
> # make installkernel KERNCONF=CUSTOM
>
> CUSTOM is the name of my kernel config file.

Yes. For the full how-to, follow the instructions in:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan at sasknow.com>

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon