Freebsd ( Raid1 / Mirror Lost ) 10-22-03

Ethan Akins ethanakins at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 22 14:07:26 PDT 2003

[ FreeBSD 4.6-RC2 ]

Hello, I have been running Freebsd on several servers here for the past 7
years and just 1 month ago the Raid1 mirror broke for no apparent reason.
After trying every possible method to fix this machine I went and purchased
a brand new A7V333 Motherboard ( the exact same motherboard that was in it
before ), 2 new hard drives, new power supply, CPU, etc... so the machine is
now 100% brand new to weed out any additional questions of a hardware
failure only to find that the same exact thing is happening. I can boot the
machine and create the arrays as they should be created and everything runs
just fine for approximately 10-15 hours and then whammo, the message below
appears:

====================
ad4: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ata2: resetting device
ad4: removed from configuration
ar0: WARNING - mirror lost
ad4: deleted from ar0 disk0
done

The machine continues to run, however it is only functioning on one drive
and the mirror is lost!

I have other machines running with the exact same hardware, etc.. from years
ago that are still pumping away perfectly but the new motherboard / hardware
is failing the system.

Any ideas? Can someone possibly help out here...

It would be greatly appreciated -- Thank you in advance!

Ethan Akins
ethanakins at hotmail.com