bash2 install on FreeBSD 5.1

Pratt, Benjamin E. bepratt at stcloudstate.edu
Wed Oct 22 07:43:59 PDT 2003

Hello everyone -

I recently decided to give FreeBSD 5.1 a try (I've only been running 4.8
for a little bit) so I chose to do a minimal install and build what I
have to from the ports tree.  I did the minimal install (along with man
pages and ports) and everything seemed to be going well until I tried to
install bash2 (I'm just used to bash).

When I run "make install clean", in the /usr/ports/shells/bash2
directory, I get an error indicating that OpenSSL needs to be installed
(my first dependency issue in FreeBSD) so I go and install it.  I then
and make runs fine but when I install I get an error saying that it's
already installed.  I then ran "make deinstall" and get an error saying
that bash2 is not installed.

I went to the mailing list archives and found this thread:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/search.cgi?words=orphaned+port&max=25&sort=sc
ore&index=recent&source=freebsd-questions

This sounds like the same issue I'm having but I never really found a
fix.  I tried running "pkgdb -F" and "portupgrade" but to no avail.
Bash1 installs fine but I'd like to use bash2 (honestly, I'm not sure
what all of the differences are but I'd like to run the latest and
greatest).

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this??

Thanks,

Ben