Using poptop....

Jim Hatfield subscriber at insignia.com
Fri Oct 17 10:24:16 PDT 2003

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:00:00 +0100, in local.freebsd.questions you
wrote:

>If anyone can give me a recipe for setting up poptop
>I'd be very grateful. I want to run it on a machine which
>is a gateway/firewall. One NIC has a public address and the other
>is on a private network, ie 192.168.1.x. I want to allow XP
>clients to connect into the private network.
>
>I found the man pages a bit terse(!) and they seem to assume
>that kernel ppp will be used whereas AIUI the port is built to
>use userland ppp.

Answering my own post, I know, but this:

http://heyer.supranet.net/pptp/

is very useful, though it assumes that userland ppp can't do
encryption, which I'm hoping is no longer true. If encryption
is possible, then this:

http://lab.digitol.net/openbsd-poptop.html

albeit for OpenBSD, is pretty useful too.