ports security updates branch

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Oct 17 06:01:18 PDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 01:22:05PM +0200, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >>The reason I'm asking this is that I don't want to update my ports
> >>everytime a new version comes out... except if it has a security issue.
> >

> >FreeBSD doesn't provide this.  Since our ports collection is about 5
> >times the size of OpenBSD's it's too much work.
>
> Oh I know that :)
> Ok, I can totally understand why it does not exist then.
> However, is there a way to know if one of my installed packages has a
> security alert ? I guess not... but we never know...

Subscribe to freebsd-security at ... -- FreeBSD security notices cover
problems with ported applications, as do security alerts when the
software in question appears in both ports and the base system.

Security notices tend to come out fairly infrequently and gather
together notices about several different problems.  Other ways of
finding out about potential problems are to subscribe to such mailing
lists as Bugtraq (see http://www.securityfocus.com/) and development
mailing lists for individual software packages.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way