exe order in /usr/local/etc/rc.d

David Landgren david at landgren.net
Thu Oct 16 06:21:37 PDT 2003

Konrad Heuer wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, RJ45 wrote:
>

>>I have never understood in which order are execurted the scripts which are
>>in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
>>
>>most port applications like mysqld, cyrus-imapd, spamd etc. put their
>>startup scripts into /usr/local/etc/rc.d but they are not ordered by a
>>number attached before the script name (like the Unix SysV style)
>>
>>anyone has some hint about this ?
>>How can I Set the startup order into /usr/local/etc/rc.d

[...]

> Thus the scripts are executed in alphabetic order.

Which means you are free to rename them as 00-mysqld.sh 20-cyrus.sh
... etc, in order to obtain the necessary ordering. Just remember that
if the files were put there from ports, upgrading or removing the port
in question, expect it to squawk about missing files.

If you were really fussed about it, you could create a
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ordered, and symlink /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysqld.sh
to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ordered/00-mysqld etc. etc. as required and set
local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ordered" in /etc/rc.conf

David