hard error reading

Francesco Casadei fcasadei at inwind.it
Wed Oct 15 11:36:42 PDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 02:50:14PM +0200, Marko Leer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This morning I found this entry in the messages:
>
> Oct 15 08:20:25 pippi /kernel: ad6: hard error reading fsbn 1783727 of 0-15 (ad6 bn 1783727; cn 1769 tn 9 sn 8) trying PIO
> mode
> Oct 15 08:20:27 pippi /kernel: ad6: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode
>
> >From searching around a bit I noticed that this probably is the
> beginning of the end of ad6 and chances are the disk will not come up
> when the server is rebooted; I haven't tried that yet :-)
>
> Now ad6 is part of a RAID 1-setup. Does this message mean:
> - this blocks are not used any more; while mirorring the lost data is
> restored on ad6 on some other part
> - you've lost the data and there's no way you ever gonna find out what
> it was
>
> What I'm also wondering about is if any dumps made now will be accurate.
>
> Here's some recent atacontrol-output:

[snip]
> end of the original message

Go to http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm, download the Drive
Fitness Test (DFT) utility and run it to test the drives.

If the drives are fine you may check if the cabling is ok.

I once had a 'fallback to PIO mode' error with a Promise TX2 IDE RAID
controller and two IBM IC35L040AVER07-0/ER4OA44A.
Each drive had a couple of fans in front of it and one of this was
failing and noisy. I unplugged the fans and the problem went away. I
know this is very strange... but I never had any problem since then!

	Francesco Casadei
--
You can download my public key from http://digilander.libero.it/fcasadei/
or retrieve it from a keyserver (pgpkeys.mit.edu, wwwkeys.pgp.net, ...)

Key fingerprint is: 1671 9A23 ACB4 520A E7EE  00B0 7EC3 375F 164E B17B