WINDOWID

Gerald S Stoller gs_stoller at juno.com
Mon Oct 13 21:06:08 PDT 2003

FreeBSD  4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Sat Apr 21 10:54:49 GMT 2001
    jkh at narf.osd.bsdi.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386

        I run  XFree86  on my system.  Each process has an environment
variable named  WINDOWID .  What purpose does this variable  serve?  How
is it used?  What can I do with it ((redirect output to another window,
no! for that I can use  /dev/tty )?  I noticed (by converting several
values to hex) that the form of this variable  is
  2 * y * 16^5 + 14 , and I never saw  y > 22 ; this is a result of
looking at around a dozen values.