Why has cvsup moved ports to attic ?

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sat Oct 11 14:25:35 PDT 2003

On Saturday 11 October 2003 01:21 pm, jdroflet at canada.com wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:58:30 -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > From: Kent Stewart <kstewart at owt.com>

<snip>

> > of ports-all. If you use portupgrade and its tools, you also have
> > to rebuild INDEX.db.
> >
> > Kent
>
> Thanks for prompt solution Kent,
> I had not built a machine over the summer so did not realize the
> changes, to rebuild the INDEX is it merely a 'make index' in
> /usr/ports ?

Yes, that does it. If you are redoing some of this, seriously consider
portupgrade. It makes updating ports much easier. It doesn't change
building and initially installing a port but the port system is
continuously changing thing.

You have to run  "portsdb -u" to create the INDEX.db, which is used by
the portupgrade tools. Some people use "portsdb -uU" to generate both
but I still use "make index". FWIW, the current INDEX is 8-days old and
INDEX-5 is over 7-weeks old. Bind9 was moved to ../dns five weeks ago.
So, the change would be in one of the INDEXs and not the other.

Once you start rebuilding the INDEX files, consider adding ports/
INDEX[-5] to your ports-all refuse file. It doesn't make sense to
redownload them everytime you cvsup and then rebuild them.

Kent
--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA