a problem of hard disks ordering...

Raphaël Marmier raphael at computer-rental.ch
Fri Oct 10 16:07:12 PDT 2003

I have recently installed FreeBSD 4.8 on a small Compaq Proliant server
with a built-in Adaptec SCSI3 controller and a SmartArray 532 raid
controller.
The root device is on the volume provided by the raid controller, which
is accessible under /dev/da#, like the built-in scsi.

I like to add a scsi drive on the built-in scsi to use for storing
"worthless" data such as /usr/src, /usr/ports and /usr/obj, so it's
fast and doesn't hog the production volume.

My problem is that when I add a drive to the built-in controller, it
gets mapped to /dev/da0, pushing the SmartArray's volume to /dev/da1 !!!

I need this server to be able to survive a disk failure, IMHO, should
include the ability to reboot properly. However, with such a setup, the
failure of any non-raid disk would prevent the os from booting (wrong
fstab), which somehow defeats the purpose of having raid in the first
place. This is a dns and mail server, so it MUST be able to come up
again, whatever the reason of the shutdown.

Is there a way to force the order the da driver maps drive?

thanks in advance

Raphael